| Newbern Hardware is believed to be one of the three oldest continually operating hardware stores in the State of Tennessee. It is located across Main Street from the Historic Illinois Centeral Railroad Depot and Amtrack Station which is listed as a National Historic Place.
The current Newbern Hardware Building was original built and occupied in 1888 as the A.F. Dickson General Store. The business sold groceries, clothes, hardware, and farming items. The construction plate is located at the rear of the building. The building contains 3 floors and covers almost 11,000 square feet.
In 1905, Newbern Hardware was incorporated by multiple stockholders (L.G. Norvell, W.S. Ridens, and Henry Beard) and were located just a few buildings down the street. They sold basically the same items except added farm implements and hardware to the inventory In 1925 the Moore Family became the primary stock holders. The current facility located at 230 East Main was purchased by the corporation in 1930 and expanded to include implement repair and service in the workshop which was located in a three story builing on the property.
In 1949 a new implement facility was constructed at the rear of the current Hardware Store facing Washington Street, to house a John Deere dealership. In 1976 the dealership relocated to the Burch Foods Building on SR 211 North. It has since been acquired by Tennessee Tractor.
When the John Deere dealersip relocated, the Hardware portion of the business was sold to Mr. Tom Jayroe in 1976, then later operated by his son Jim after Mr. Tom's retirement. Mark and Mike Lamb acquired the property from Jim Jayroe in 2003. They sold to Ron Thurmond in 2006 and was operated by the Thurmond Family until aquired by the Parker Family in April of 2016. In the 112 year history the Parkers are the 5th family ownerships.
Newbern Hardware is a licensed and authorized dealer for Stanley, National Hardware, House Hassan, Orgil Brothers as well as Rustoleum, Valspar, Grey Seal and Pittsburg Paints. Newbern Hardware carries affordable products as well as the majority of the nationally recognized brands and is stocked by two of the oldest hardware suppliers in Tennessee.
Richard T. Moore who served as a State Representative in the 76th General Assembly maintained his local offices on the second floor of the Hardware Store and worked the facility when not in Nashville. Prior to, and thereafter practiced law from the same offices.
Olen Parker who serves as the Executive Director for the ADDA an international Design Drafting and Certification Organization has relocated thier offices to the 2nd floor continuing the tradition.
This Building, Business and History of this Hardware Store is a Tennessee Treasure and the continuation of its operation and perseveration is an investment in preserving Tennessee and Dyer County History.